22 February 2006

Biblio

On my lunch break today I was fortunate enough to come across a used book sale at the mid-Manhattan Public Library branch (across the street from the Ghostbuster main branch). They didn't have a ton of stuff- but enough to make checking in worthwhile. All paperbacks were fifty cents, and hardcovers ranged from a dollar to two.

I found four really good history books for a grand total of $7.50- and it got me thinking that, over the last two and a half weeks, I've been on a SERIOUS book buying binge. Just insanity. Most of it's been used stuff- Strand (bookstore in lower Manhattan), used bin at amazon.com, library sales. Thinking back, here's a list of all the books I've purchased in the last, say, three weeks:

  • Pale Fire, by Vladimir Nabokov

  • Darkness at Noon, by Arthur Koestler
  • Thirteen Days, by Robert F Kennedy

  • Day of the Locust, by Nathaniel West

  • I, Claudius, by Robert Graves

  • Naked and the Dead, by Normal Mailer

  • Khrushchev Remembers, by Nikita Khrushchev

  • The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, by Carson McCullers

  • Kim, by Rudyard Kipling

  • Under the Volcano, by Malcolm Lowry

  • Assassination Vacation, by Sarah Vowell

  • His Excellency: George Washington, by Joseph J Ellis

  • Gotham, by Mike Wallace and Edwin G Burrows

  • This Time Let's Not Eat the Bones, by Bill James

  • Harry S. Truman, by Margaret Truman

  • Nicolas and Alexandra, by Robert K Massie

  • All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren

  • The Idiot, by Fyodor Dostoevesky

  • The Great Gatsby, by F Scott Fitzgerald

  • Lord Jim, by Joseph Conrad

  • Simon & Schuster's Pocket Book of Chess, by Raymond Keene

  • King Lear, by William Shakespeare

  • Julius Caesar, by William Shakespeare


  • Insane, isn't it? Adding all these to the ridiculous backlog of shit I have to read... that being said, I got nearly all (save for the Bill James book) for good deals, so I guess it's not that bad. Plus, many of them (Gatsby, Shakespeare) were things I needed to replace for one reason or the other, and the price was right.

    I'm very prone to binge. Beware.

    ______________________________ |