19 May 2005

Star Wars Fucking EVERYWHERE...



On the eve of the new Star Wars movie coming out, a simple stroll through the internet leads one to believe it to be literally the only thing worth reporting about. I've seen Star Wars articles at CNN.com, ESPN.com, the usual search engine suspects, plus Premiere, Entertainment Weekly, Time- I'm sure there's others... I wonder if Lucas has to actually solicit that sort of "support," or if all these sites and outlets (really, ESPN.com on Star Wars?!) just realize the publicity and money to be had.

I really, really hope it's good. I'm probably going to see it this weekend some time, and I'll definitely go into real detail over it. I'm trying to get Mike to do a review as well, get his take. In fact, everyone who reads this that misses it should leave comments demanding a return of Notes from the Broseph..., even if it is one of those cheapy "random thoughts" columns.

Speaking of columnists, I got a new one coming up soon. Look out for that column probably Thursday night.






The regularly scheduled mLers updates are going to be pushed back a week due to the fact that I got a late-week pushback last week, and I'm going to wait for them to actually get some at bats before I actually update.

Sorry to all you holding your breaths. This will be a great exercise and restraint for you.






Watched Bob Costas's new HBO show (a ripoff of Bryant Gumbel's), Costas NOW, and while it had a mildly well-done piece on Tony Conigliaro, and the distinct joy of watching Chad Curtis walk around in a "Property of JESUS" shirt while squealing to Armen Keteyian about amphetamines, Costas also talked to (shock) Billy Crystal. They talked about (bigger shock!) Billy's first baseball game, Yankee Stadium, and Mickey Mantle.

I could have recited this interview before it fucking happened. Honestly, if I have to hear about Billy Crystal and/ or Bob Costas's first time at Yankee Stadium (with the drooling prose and the "grass" and the "facade" and the "smell of hot dogs and summer days") one more goddamn time, I'm going to jam a knife in my abdomen. Why do these old, irrelevent pieces of self-loving shit think anyone cares about their childhood trips to a baseball park? More importantly, why do these old, irrelevent pieces of self-loving shit think we need to hear about it, at most, more than ONCE?! I'm amazed at the perceived market for listening to Billy Crystal muse wistfully about Mickey Mantle and Yankee Stadium for the 500th time. Seriously, Costas couldn't have spent a couple of minutes with like, say, Ben Sheets or someone interesting... and new?



Charles Barkley was on the show too- Barkley's the fucking man. "I tell you no matter what, we all got more talent than Lance Armstrong and those NASCAR drivers."
Costas jumps all over it, makes a showey and second-rate hack comedian reference to an 80's sitcom while disagreeing- his crewmen laugh
"Still just driving a bike."
But Charles, he's using a lot of strategy, and the drivers, they have to endure so much physical duress-
"Lance is a nice guy, great shape- still just driving a bike. Still just driving a car."

I seriously love this guy. I'll actually wait for an NBA game to end and switch on TNT sometimes just to listen to him, even though I know nothing about basketball, and couldn't care less who won. He's just a smart, entertaining guy.






As we are poised on the verge on Interleague Play starting this weekend, I would like to offer two very strong opinions I have on this issue.

a) It's stupid
b) The "Subway Series" Mets/ Yankees "rivalry" is a total joke. 100% media creation- dumb, non-existant, and totally pointless. Anybody buying into that rivalry needs to queue up for their lobotomy. Pedro said it better than I:



Told the Mets and Yankees are pretty big rivals, too, Martinez acted as if he were in disbelief. "Really? Since when?" he said. "You want to make it up and it ain't going to work."

Told that the rivalry wasn't made up, he replied: "Yeah you did."

______________________________ |