26 August 2004

Saw "Garden State," Falling in Love with Bronson...



The Woman and I went to see Zach Braff's film Garden State, a decent- if sort of obvious- movie about a guy coming off medication and living his life. It co-starred one of my very favorite actors, Peter Sarsgaard, and so that was cool. Otherwise, save for a hilarious Klingon reference, it was an OK movie, that's it. I didn't hate it, I just felt like I'd seen most of it before a million times. Natalie Portman was good, and very hot. As usual.



What made it less good was having the pleasure (or discomfort) of being blown away with excitement over the new Wes Anderson film, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, a film that may end up being the most anticipated of my life. In comparison Garden State just couldn't stand up. "Why can't this movie be The Life Aquatic, anyway?" I'd think.

The trailer, coupled with Anderson's filmography, the soundtrack, and cast, just blew me away. It's a WES ANDERSON movie, it pops out even in a brief trailer. Wes Anderson's films are so amazingly perfect it makes me not want to see any other movies, ever. The best part was hearing Bowie's "Queen Bitch"- my favorite Bowie song- in the trailer. In high school I started shooting a movie who's opening scene was scored to "Queen Bitch." I can't use it in anything I do now I guess, but it was still cool to see. Here's a list of actors appearing in the film:

Bill Murray
Cate Blanchett
Anjelica Huston
Owen Wilson
Michael Gambon
Willem Dafoe
Jeff Goldblum
Setmour Cassell
Bud Cort
(from Harold & Maude)

Another great and promising looking trailer- David O Russell's follow-up to Three Kings entitled I Heart Huckabee's looks hilarious, and stars Lily Tomlin, Dustin Hoffman, Jason Schwartzman, Mark Wahlberg, Jude Law, Naomi Watts, Tippi Hedren and Shania Twain... as herself. Though it really can't be explained- it looks like very funny movie, and going on reputation, Russell is a great writer and filmmaker.



Even though I loved Election, I think David O. Russell does what people give Alexander Payne credit for- only better. About Schmidt and Citizen Ruth were both totally disappointing films to me- whereas Spanking the Monkey, Three Kings, and Flirting with Disaster are all variations on the theme of America and suburbia and suburbanites in awkward situations that succeed on a far more satisfying and humorous level. They're complete sentences where Payne's films seem almost half-formed at times. About Schmidt may be one of the more overrated movies I've ever seen.

Alice Cooper fucking annoys me. Completely. Someone that was once a dangerous, scary, mysterious guy has turned into a disco-loving, golfing, talking head on Vh1 clip shows, "strong Republican," Office Max-commercial doing shill. He recently whined about how the glut of rock artists campaigning for Kerry is enough to make one want to vote for Bush.

HA!


I am a giant, blubbering vagina



He's right that it's kind of silly for politics to be implicit in rock an roll- it's something I've never been totally fond of. But to speak of it as anathema to the form is moronic, and completely ignores a large portion of it's history. Billion Dollar Babies is a great record, sure. And while I bet GWB would LOVE to hear Alice belt out "Raped and Freezing" at the convention, isn't Alice, in some small part, playing the game himself now with the whining? What a boring, old, over-the-hill Boomer fucking self-parody. Just die or shut up, please.


Recreates ET's bicycle ride, complete with red hoodies and... well, ET.



If you haven't seen VH1's "Totally Obsessed," you're missing out on what may eventually become the most awkwardly entertaining television program since MTV's great "fanatic". VH1 just follows and documents people who are obsessed with something. Like, for example, the fucking woman obsessed with Lord of the Rings, talking to the cardboard cutout, bringing it with her (and her family) to a restaurant (ordering it dinner, acting out it's decision process). Stunning, unbelievable stuff. A forty year old woman obsessed (I'm sick of the word already) with pink enough to vow to be buried in a pink coffin... and then CRYING at the mere thought of it. Wow. You HAVE to watch this show. HAVE TO.

MEG RYAN: THEN




MEG RYAN: NOW




Yech.

Know what I really, really hate now? Those like, stripper-cowboy hats that girls wear. The ones that like, come down low on their eyes and like, are curved up real high on the side. I can't find a picture, but I hate 'em. And those J-Lo sunglasses. You know, man?



Even though it's against less-than-great teams, the Red Sox are playing extremely well, and it's fun to watch a consistent, powerful team flexing it's collective muscles for once this season. Bronson Arroyo has stepped up to become a very legit #3 for the Sox this year, going 7 1/3 tonight with 8 K, 2 BB, 0 ER, 6 H over 103 pitches to gain his 7th victory. Few pitchers this year have been victimized by worse luck W/L-wise than Bronson, and a very solid 4.08 ERA actually belies his recent excellent work. Ortiz has 113 RBI, second to only Tejada in the MLB. The Sox lead the Wild Card, and it's their's to win or lose at this point. A lot of baseball to be played for sure- but I love our chances. It'd be huge to take a sweep of the Tigers here at home going into the big 9 game stretch against Anaheim, Oakland and Texas.


Click on the picture to vote for Boston's Hank Aaron Award candidates



:tsilyalP

Big Star- "Feel"
Big Star- "The Ballad of el Goodo"
Big Star- "In the Street"
Big Star- "Thirteen"
Big Star- "Don't Lie to Me"
Big Star- "The India Song"
Big Star- "When My Baby's Beside Me"
Big Star- "My Life Is Right"
Big Star- "Give Me Another Chance"
Big Star- "Try Again"
Big Star- "Watch the Sunrise"
Big Star- "ST 100/6"


Finally- at long last, I got my totally awesome 1949 New York Giants hats. It's totally cool- one of those "Franchise" hats that's mad comfortable and stuff. I got one, the Woman got herself her first Red Sox hat- all was well. She looks super-cool in hers. In fact, I just had to pry it off her head, as she feel asleep with it on.

______________________________ |