14 June 2004

Off Day RAMBLE...

June 14, 2003

OFF DAY


The boys are off today. I'll have to talk about something else...

  • The people at Apple are going to have to hear from me soon. I don't enjoy being a jealous person, nor do I enjoy being poor- and every time I see those white ear-fitting headphones in the NYC subway system stuck in the heads of people who likely don't appreciate them as much as I, I am both those things. I am jealous, and I am poor.


  • I want an iPod.


    My birthday IS coming up. 31 July.



  • Tomorrow, the greatest season of the greatest television show in history is released to DVD. I have it on pre-order from Amazon...but I may just buy it the day it comes out, and take my new copy that gets here a few days late (fuckin mail) and return it for credit. Just so I can have it tomorrow.



  • Why? Well, here are 22 reasons:

  • Kamp Krusty

  • A Streetcar Named Marge

  • Homer the Heretic

  • Lisa the Beauty Queen

  • Treehouse of Horror III

  • Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie

  • Marge Gets a Job

  • New Kid on the Block

  • Mr. Plow

  • Lisa's First Word

  • Homer's Triple Bypass

  • Marge vs. the Monorail

  • Selma's Choice

  • Brother from the Same Planet

  • I Love Lisa

  • Duffless

  • Last Exit to Springfield

  • So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show

  • The Front

  • Whacking Day

  • Marge in Chains

  • Krusty Gets Kancelled


  • How's that strike you friend? In bold is what may be the consensus greatest episode-- consensus is certainly the wrong word though, as everyone has a favorite, and the sheer volume of astounding entries for this one series is unrivaled in television. I actually loved the layout of the Season 3 DVD, and I'm hoping it's similar- though something new would also be appreciated.

  • Many, many great new records are coming out soon. A partial list:
    15 June 2004: Beastie Boys- To The 5 Boroughs

    8 June 2004: PJ Harvey- Uh Huh Her

    15 June 2004: Sonic Youth- Sonic Nurse

    15 June 2004: Wilco- A Ghost Is Born

    17 July 2004: The Roots- The Tipping Point

  • (no image available)


  • My hope is that they're all good- they won't be. Oh well- they never are. I got PJ Harvey's newest yesterday. Its very strong- in fact, the only PJ Harvey recrod I don't like is Is This Real?. That one blows.


  • Sonic Youth's last record was astonishing- Murray Street. They'd been slumping since Dirty, and it was nice to see them enter a new phase, sort of like Fugazi's The Argument. Wilco's will be interesting as well- I never loved them before Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, which I'm sure makes me a poseur, but that's nothing new. Is Jeff Tweedy out of rehab? I'd see this tour...


  • I also recently bought City of God , a film that is seriously one of the greatest things that ever happened. Unbelievable. I saw it back in March one weekend when the Woman was out of town. I actually went to see The Fog of War, Errol Morris' film, and saw City starting up as I walked out. I snuck in, catching the film just as it opened.




  • It's French New Wave, it's Scorsese, Tarantino, Mann, and Paul Thomas Anderson while being completely singular- Fernando Meirelles creates a crime drama in Brazil that doubles as The 400 Blows and The Gangs of New York- "Li'l Z" as Bill the Butcher, of course. Brilliant, brilliant film, and to say anymore would ruin it.

  • David Sedaris' new book is out as well. It's called Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, and unless his arms and brains fell off, it'll be fucking hilarious.



  • I have finally gotten a copy of The Neyer/James Guide to Pitchers. Awesome stuff, as expected. Go get it. I'll write a longer synopsis/ review later.




  • Also, fuck SuperCuts. They effed up my hair something fierce. Serves me right, I guess. I guess it's better than looking like my brother Michael...



  • Records listened to today...

    The Beatles- Abbey Road

    The Breeders- Last Splash

    The Strokes- Room on Fire

    ______________________________ |